Victory Gardens seemed forever present beginning in 1942 and continuing into 1946 as World War Two impacted the civilian population of the United States. As a federal campaign declaring “food is fighting” the war, residents throughout Sherburne County took up the appeal to grow more food, and preserve more food, to help the war effort.
|Pamphlets distributed by private companies and |
the Federal govt. promoted the victory garden program
“Every member of a well-fed farm family consumes $25 to $30 worth of vegetables and fruits every year,” Department of Agriculture agents claimed. “A half to three-quarter acre garden will supply the needs of a family of six.” The remaining produce grown on farms and small gardens throughout the county, and throughout the country, could be used in large cities and communities lacking the acreage to garden.
The surplus garden produce allowed the federal government to utilize commercially grown and canned vegetables for the war effort. The federal government also suggested with enough victory gardens the railroads could stop transporting canned goods for family use. This way enhance transportation and shipping in support of the military machine.
In the community of Elk River, High School Principal Robert Handke developed a victory garden program. Using school grounds to grow vegetables, he offered classes in the evening for city residents to learn the latest in food preservation practices.
The Sherburne County Star News also provided advice for developing victory gardens. “Food poisoning may lurk in the best-looking jar of meat, chicken or vegetables,” the newspaper warned. “Don’t taste them until they have been brought to a good 15-minute boil.”
Growing and preserving food as part of the victory garden program provided every citizen an opportunity to contribute to the war effort. The “food is fighting” program served a national role for local residents to participate in a program to win the war.